Disaster Recovery Support:
On September 8, 2023, a devastating earthquake struck Morocco, causing widespread damage and loss of life. In the aftermath of this tragedy, nonprofits have stepped up to support those affected. These organizations are working tirelessly to provide emergency relief, medical care, shelter, and psychosocial support to those who have been displaced from their homes.
Here are some of how nonprofits are supporting Morocco earthquake victims (thank you to Silicon Valley Community Foundation for providing the links):
- CARE provides emergency food, water, and medical support to those impacted by the earthquake.
- Doctors without Borders – USA/Médecins Sans Frontières teams are assessing needs in Morocco.
- Global Giving has launched a fund to help meet survivors’ immediate needs for food, fuel, clean water, medicine, and shelter. The fund will transition to focus on recovery efforts led by local, vetted organizations in the impacted areas.
- The High Atlas Foundation is a Moroccan association and a U.S. 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 2000 by former Peace Corps Volunteers committed to furthering sustainable development.
- International Federation of Red Cross (IFRC) and Red Crescent Societies: This organization coordinates closely with the Moroccan Red Crescent Society to assess needs and offer relief to Moroccan residents. Donate to IFRC.
- UNICEF USA will provide immediate emergency support to children and families displaced by the earthquake.
- IsraAID, one of our past grantees, is accepting donations for their emergency response fund. IsraAID’s Emergency Response Team arrived on Sunday, September 10, to provide urgent humanitarian relief.
The Morocco earthquake is a reminder of the importance of nonprofit organizations in times of disaster. Nonprofits are often the first responders to crises and are vital in providing long-term support to affected communities. If you want to support the Morocco earthquake relief effort, you can donate to one of the abovementioned nonprofits. You can also volunteer your time or skills to help with the relief effort.
Every little bit helps. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of those affected by the Morocco earthquake.